The Boy Scouts of America has a list that goes back to the 1940s called the “Perversion Files.” According to sources, there are 7,819 suspected perpetrators, while the number of victims total 12,254.
Two hundred of the alleged abusers are said to be in New York and New Jersey. Lawyers nationwide are prepping for individual lawsuits and class action lawsuits against the Scouts. They are already financially troubled and these lawsuits could very well put them out of business.
Lawyers in both New York and New Jersey made announcements on Tuesday of upcoming lawsuits. They are trying to force the Scouts to release the complete list of the Perversion files.
The Boy Scouts of America told News 4 in a statement that they “care deeply about all victims of child sex abuse and sincerely apologize to anyone who was harmed during their time in Scouting.”
“We believe victims, we support them, and we have paid for unlimited counseling by a provider of their choice. Nothing is more important than the safety and protection of children in Scouting and we are outraged that there have been times when individuals took advantage of our programs to abuse innocent children,” the statement reads in part.
It continues: “At no time have we ever knowingly allowed a sexual predator to work with youth, and we mandate that all leaders, volunteers and staff members nationwide immediately report any abuse allegation to law enforcement.”
Anderson said his law firm managed to identify 130 former BSA leaders in New York who are found in the files that have so far been made available. According to Anderson, the list of alleged abusers was compiled into what he called the “Anderson File,” but said the list of names is incomplete.
The BSA never released the names of the alleged perpetrators to the public or authorities, Anderson claimed.