A pair of extreme-left members of the squad, Ilham Omar and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, was the target of some pretty heavy mocking in the wake of the Tuesday evening protest in which the pair pretended to be handcuffed after being arrested for blocking traffic around the U.S. Supreme Court for a pro-abortion demonstration.
“We made a total of 35 arrests for Crowding, Obstructing or Incommoding (DC Code § 22–1307),” explained the U.S. Capitol Police in a release on social media. “That arrest number includes 17 Members of Congress.”
A group of other legislators was also arrested including Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Rep. Cori Bush (D-MO), Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), Rep. Madeline Dean (D-PA), Rep. Nydia Velazquez (D-NY), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA), Assistant Speaker of the House Katherine Clark (D-MA), Rep. Sara Jacobs (D-CA), Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), Rep. Andy Levin (D-MI), Rep. Alma Adams (D-NC), Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-NJ), Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-TX), and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL).
The aspect of these particular arrests that garnered the most attention online was how Ocasio-Cortez and Omar chose to pretend to be stuck in handcuffs as they were ushered out of the area.
.@AOC, we can all see you’re not really in cuffs, dummy. pic.twitter.com/5ULyyc09Qm
— Steven Crowder (@scrowder) July 19, 2022
Check out the last split second of this clip of Omar after pretending she has handcuffs on.pic.twitter.com/szISvUmY5C
— Cameron Cawthorne (@Cam_Cawthorne) July 19, 2022
A series of quite notable responses spawned online in the wake of the videos hitting the web, including:
- Tom Elliott, founder of Grabien: “Politicians are ultimately all just failed actors.”
- Larry Sanger, co-founder of Wikipedia: “Gee, as a lawmaker and representative of law in this country, I would have expected you to understand that you are entirely free to protest in support of abortion rights—as long as you aren’t blocking traffic while doing so. But go ahead, be proud of your childish arrest.”
- Josh Jordan, statistician: “Compare the video of AOC and Omar above showing they were clearly not handcuffed with the photos going viral on social media if you’re wondering why they pretended to be in handcuffs. And that’s why I’m cynical of just about everything these days… it’s all a show.”
- Bret Baier, Fox News: “Just noting – they weren’t handcuffed – just decided to hold their hands like that.”
- Brit Hume, Fox News: “Note the handcuff pose, abandoned only to raise her fist in the air. The queen of gestures.”
- Julie Gunlock, Director of Independent Women’s Network: “AOC pretending like she is in cuffs is all you need to know about this fraud. Her image is what matters, not the people she was elected to serve.”
- Harry Khachatrian, Washington Examiner: “AOC, while being calmly escorted by an officer, holding her hands behind her back pretending she is handcuffed is the most @AOC thing ever.”
- John Cardillo, political commentator: “They just want to date her.”
- Caleb Hull, digital strategist: “The funniest part about this video of AOC being escorted out by Capitol Police is her pretending to be in handcuffs. She is a professional victim.”
Leave a Reply