Sir Kim Darroch used secret cables to impugn Trump’s character in a classic NeverTrumper kind of way.
It is bound to damage the relationship between our two countries, not only because of the ambassador but also because his superiors accepted his contentions. This could hurt the Brexit movement because, without a good trade deal with the United States, Great Britain could suffer economically by exiting the European Union.
He accused the president of being ‘inept’, ‘insecure’ and ‘incompetent’ .And also that Trump’ administration is ‘uniquely dysfunctional’ and that the President’s career could end in ‘disgrace’.
In the memos, seen by The Mail on Sunday following an unprecedented leak, Sir Kim:
- Describes bitter conflicts within Trump’s White House – verified by his own sources – as ‘knife fights’;
- Warns that Trump could have been indebted to ‘dodgy Russians’;
- Claims the President’s economic policies could wreck the world trade system;
- Says the scandal-hit Presidency could ‘crash and burn’ and that ‘we could be at the beginning of a downward spiral… that leads to disgrace and downfall’;
- Voices fears that Trump could still attack Iran.
In one of the most sensitive documents, Sir Kim writes: ‘We don’t really believe this Administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept.’
He also says that he doesn’t think Trump’s White House will ‘ever look competent’.
In reference to Trump’s ability to shrug off controversies in a life which has been ‘mired in scandal’, he says that the President may nonetheless ’emerge from the flames, battered but intact, like [Arnold] Schwarzenegger in the final scenes of The Terminator’.