As reported this past Thursday by the White House, it was revealed that a raid took place this past Wednesday in Syria managed to take out a top leader of ISIS in the country.
“Last night at my direction, U.S. military forces in the northwest Syria successfully undertook a counterterrorism operation to protect the American people and our Allies, and make the world a safer place,” exclaimed Old Uncle Joe in a statement.
“Thanks to the skill and bravery of our Armed Forces, we have taken off the battlefield Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi—the leader of ISIS. All Americans have returned safely from the operation. I will deliver remarks to the American people later this morning. May God protect our troops,” continued the statement.
The leader in question, Al-Mawla, took control of ISIS back in 2019 in the wake of the previous leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, being killed in another U.S. raid into Syria that was originally authorized by then-President Donald Trump.
“U.S. special forces landed in helicopters and assaulted a house in a rebel-held corner of Syria, clashing for two hours with gunmen, witnesses said. Residents described continuous gunfire and explosions that jolted the town of Atmeh near the Turkish border, an area dotted with camps for internally displaced people from Syria’s civil war,” stated the Associated Press in a report.
“First responders reported that 13 people had been killed, including six children and four women,” continued the report.
The Twitter account for the White House also unveiled the information as part of a post on Thursday morning that displayed an image of Biden briefing alongside leaders on the issue.
“President Biden, Vice President Harris and members of the President’s national security team observe the counterterrorism operation responsible for removing from the battlefield Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi — the leader of ISIS,” read the post from the White House account.
President Biden, Vice President Harris and members of the President’s national security team observe the counterterrorism operation responsible for removing from the battlefield Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi — the leader of ISIS. pic.twitter.com/uhK75WeUme
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 3, 2022
A senior official within the U.S. administration also stated to Reuters that al-Quraishi was killed as part of the raid.
“At the beginning of the operation the terrorist target exploded a bomb that killed him and members of his own family, including women and children,” claimed the administration official.
“While we are still assessing the results of this operation, this appears to be the same cowardly terrorist tactic we saw in the 2019 operation that eliminated al-Baghdadi,” continued the official.
Aerial images of the scene of the raid were displayed showing the second level of the home that was destroyed in the explosion.
The leader of Islamic State was killed during a U.S. military operation in Syria, President Biden said https://t.co/jrl6LD0HcC
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) February 3, 2022
“The special forces, in conjunction with other U.S. troops, raided a site in the Atmeh area in Syria’s Idlib province for more than two hours, reportedly resulting in several deaths and the destruction of some structures, according to witness accounts filtered through social media. U.S. troops exchanged fire with enemy forces on the ground, according to those social-media reports,” reported the Wall Street Journal.
The Pentagon also put forth its own statement concerning the strike.
“U.S. Special Operations forces under the control of U.S. Central Command conducted a counterterrorism mission this evening in northwest Syria. The mission was successful. There were no U.S. casualties. More information will be provided as it becomes available,” stated Pentagon press secretary John Kirby in a release.