In response to a video taken earlier this week, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has announced that it has captured a suspect and taken them into custody allegedly in connection with a possible anti-Semitic hate crime.
As reported by City News Service, “Police Saturday said a man was taken into custody, with the assistance of the U.S. Marshal Service, as one of the primary suspects who allegedly assaulted several Jewish men Tuesday outside a restaurant in the Beverly Grove area of Los Angeles.” The outlet went on to say that the LAPD stated that the person was taken into custody “at about 10:15 p.m. Friday at a home outside of Los Angeles and was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.”
The report given by the LAPD did not state the suspect’s name.
“[D]ue to the crime being motivated by hatred,” the authorities are pushing for the issuing of an enhanced bail for the suspect.
Law enforcement “credited the many tips received in the case with helping to identify the suspect,” reported the news source ABC7. Currently, authorities are still attempting to discover the identities of other possible accomplices of the alleged hate crime.
There is currently cell phone footage of the incident that has been posted all over social media that shows the confrontation that took place shortly before 10 p.m. this past Tuesday directly outside the restaurant Sushi Fumi located near the 300 block of North La Cienega Blvd. in L.A.
A witness, who is currently unidentified, stated to CBSLA that a convoy of vehicles brandishing and waving pro-Palestinian flags drove up to the restaurant. A large mob of men drees in blacked-out clothes proceeded to physically assault a group of Jewish diners and many others that were seated at tables outdoors of the establishment. The pro-Palestinian attackers were reported to yell a slew of anti-Semitic slurs, demand people identify “Who’s Jewish?”, and then threw glassware.
“Two guys said they were, and they proceeded to beat them up,” stated an unidentified person from the area.
according to witness accounts, the entire incident lasted roughly fifteen minutes.
Reportedly the drivers were yelling "F**k the Jews."
You can see the pro-Palestinian group attacking two people on the sidewalk In this video, and one of them fights back.
A victim is hospitalized.
— Sia Kordestani 🦁 (@SiaKordestani) May 19, 2021
Law enforcement officials stated that five people were injured by the punching, kicking, and thrown glassware from the incident, but reportedly no one was seriously injured. There were no reported damages to the restaurant.
On Wednesday, Eric Garcetti, Democratic Mayor of L.A., issed a statement that condemned the incident by calling it an “organized, anti-Semitic attack” while the investigation by the LAPD was still ongoing. He went on to state that he vowed to “respond with the full force of the law.”