As soon as he took office, President Joe Biden quickly abolished the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP). These kept foreigners who attempted to enter the U.S. illegally in camps in Mexico while they awaited their immigration hearings. Biden, instead, re-adopted the old “catch-and-release” policies in which illegal aliens are allowed to enter the U.S.
Almost immediately, the flow of foreigners to attempt border crossings spiked. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents caught nearly 100,000 people at the border this past February. For reference, last April we only saw a total of 16,000 people captured at the border, as said in the published data from Pew Research Center.
As we have seen before, the Biden administration has attempted to throw the blame around. Last time, we saw Psaki attempt to throw the Department of Homeland Security under the bus for the issue, but this time around they have set a new target to blame. They have set their sights to now blame former President Donald Trump.
“Biden officials claim Trump officials did not fully cooperate with his transition team, hindering their ability get a realistic view of potential migration, and that Trump deconstructed the immigration and asylum system – which they then inherited,” the Daily Mail stated on Sunday.
“As we were coming into the administration, we knew we were inheriting an absolute mess from the previous administration — that there were aspects of our legal immigration system that had been gutted and a department that lacked the personnel to administer our laws,” said Julie Chavez Rodriguez, the director of the White House’s Office of intergovernmental affairs, as said to CNN.
“When we came into office, like, it was a disaster. I mean, really. The staffing wasn’t in place, the structures weren’t in place.”
But former acting CBP Commissioner Mark Morgan told CNN that the Biden transition team was “specifically warned again and again and again,” he also added that officials on the subject even showed the transition team a projection that detailed an increase in border encounters if the Trump policies were withdrawn.
Even with all of this information and warning, a Biden official stated that they were ready for an influx. “Were we prepared? Yes,” the official told CNN. “Everyone wants to be like ‘crisis, crisis, crisis, crisis’ — but it’s like, you know what, actually, things are going really well. Yes, we brought in FEMA, but you know what? That was the responsible thing to do.”
The attempted blame shirking continued as the Biden administration is reportedly thinking about releasing illegal aliens into the country without issuing a Notice to Appear (NTA). This means that they will leave custody without having been given a date to appear in court, which was reported to Fox News.
“Such a decision would be unprecedented if enacted and would place the responsibility of seeking an asylum hearing on the migrants through Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) or legal assistance,” Fox stated.
We now have a crisis at the border where the migrants believe that Biden “promised” them that they would be just allowed into the country and with these latest changes they aren’t even being held accountable to even start the process of legal immigration. The increased volume of migrants has stressed all offices to the point that the Department of Homeland Security is considering bringing in the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to assist.