The federal government has won the ability to take immediate possession of privately owned land along the United States-Mexico border. The Biden admin plans to continue the construction of the border wall and shows no plans at all to give the land back to its original owners.
“The federal government can take ‘immediate possession’ of a Texas family’s land along the US-Mexico border after a years-long court battle, a federal judge has ruled — a move at odds with President Joe Biden’s pledge to halt wall construction,” CNN stated this past Wednesday. “Tuesday’s ruling from Judge Micaela Alvarez of the Texas Southern District Court was a blow to the Cavazos family, who for years have been fighting to keep the land that’s been passed down for generations.”
CNN noted, the federal government “filed the motion for possession in 2020, sought ‘to construct, install, operate, and maintain roads, fencing, vehicle barriers, security lighting, cameras, sensors, and related structures designed to help secure the United States/Mexico border within the State of Texas.'”
Before this, most of the border wall had been constructed solely on land owned by the federal government, but during the Trump administration, the government looked into taking control of large plots of private land in order to build in the missing segments of the border wall. Then-President Donald Trump’s original plan was to complete a wall across the entire southern border of the United States.
While President Joe Biden initially stopped construction on the border wall under an executive order that was signed the first day he took office, the federal government did not drop any of the lawsuits against the border landowners, who commented to CNN that they voted for the Democrats.
“Cavazos Rodriguez, who voted for Biden, said she feels betrayed with the latest ruling to seize her family’s land,” she commented to CNN. “The roughly 70 acres belonging to the Cavazos family hold sentimental value and provide for the family’s livelihood. The family rents out some of the property, serving as a source of income for her siblings.”
“[Biden] did say, not one more foot. And then with this going on, with them taking possession, they can do whatever they want now,” she continued.
According to a report from the New York Post, there is the possibility that the Biden administration still plans to make good on the Trump administration plans, particularly the plans to complete the gaps between existing segments of the southern border wall.
“The White House is considering a return to construction of the southern border wall, in order to fill in ‘gaps’ made all the more glaring by the sudden immigration crisis,” the Post noted the past march. “Speaking to Immigration and Customs Enforcement staffers last week, according to notes from the meeting reviewed by the Washington Times, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Customs and Border Protection had submitted a plan to his department on what it wanted to see moving forward.”
While Biden froze all funding for the wall in his executive order, Mayorkas reportedly stated, the executive order “leaves room to make decisions as the administration, as part of the administration, in particular areas of the wall that need renovation, particular projects that need to be finished.”